Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Photo of Birds on a Frozen River and an Old Boat Restaurant


I was out with my camera the other day. Normally when a blogger writes something like that it normally entails that some has a nice camera and some ability to take photos. That’s not the case with this blogger, but in return I won’t bore you with 30 photos at once. Just one or two per post. Deal?

I was in Ulsan recently and happened to be near the Tae-hwa River fairly early in the morning. These days it’s been cold everywhere in Korea, although less in Busan and Ulsan than most places. Anyway, here’s a photo of some birds standing on the edge of frozen water, doing some fishing. I liked that.


This other photo is of an agujjim restaurant that’s partially made out of an old ship. More about agujjim here -- it's basically a white fish (black angler aka goosefish) with hot pepper, garlic and scallions. I’ve walked by this place a few times. It’s hardly in a prominent spot -- it's down a back alley off a main street that's not all that main. It's also not very well kept and never open, which makes me unsure if I'd be willing to eat the food there. But I always like looking at it, and the other day I decided to take a few photos of it.

I thought the place had maybe closed down, but there were some covered fish tanks in the front that were still being used. I’ve seen a number of restaurants like this in the states…one that stands out in my memory is in Ballard, Seattle, but I can't seem to remember the name.

If this place were serving a dish I liked more I might give it a whirl, but agujjim isn’t one of my favorites. I’ve only eaten it two or three times ever, and I like it, but I find it very overpriced for what it is – bottom feeder fish in spicy sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment