Monday, January 4, 2010

It's Snowed Everywhere in Korea Today...



Except where I live.

I have mixed feelings about it. As I sat in my living room looking out into the parking lot of my apartment complex I did think "some snow would be kind of cozy." I didn't need to leave the apartment for anything, and the idea of some gently falling snow had its appeal.

Alas, no.

Might be just as well. Seoul had its heaviest snowfall in 70 years (whistle sound). It's amazing, that in a country roughly the size of Indiana, that it wouldn't snow here, but would snow 10 inches just 1 hour away (via plane).

Here are some of the highlights



Here's one of my favorite photos of the day -- a montage of people snowboarding and skiing in public places.



File this one in the glad it didn't snow here category:



Although I don't drive in Korea and I didn't go out...so what do I care?

The other day I downloaded a discography of Cluster with Brian Eno. I'm not always in the mood for this sort of thing, but in this kind of weather -- count me in. I woke up at 3 a.m. yesterday, and after going to the bathroom, I slipped back into bed and put this in my ears...I was asleep within 20 seconds. This is "Ho Renomo" from the 1977 self-titled album. I wonder if the title is Japanese.



Actually, I think the title is Japanese. In doing a quick search I came up with a homemade You Tube video for the track, which is a very cool old timey video of a Japanese woman doing a fan dance. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment